Let’s face it. Is there anyone in the world who doesn’t like a good chocolate chip cookie? It’s a classic for a reason and the scent alone makes them instantly crave-able. There are a lot of amazing chocolate chip cookies out there, including in the gluten-free world. Unfortunately, a lot of them have sugar and shortening or vegan butter and those are ingredients I’d prefer not to put in my body. Enter- the paleo cookie. I can’t actually take credit for this recipe, as I got it from my amazing sister-in-law Julia, who started making this when she and my brother went paleo. Enter the night before Easter this year, when my brother had a craving for some delicious chocolate chip cookies and he and I whipped these up (ok, so he was mostly my sous chef, but an excellent one).😉 I’ve since made these cookies for various occasions and everyone loves them! I’m talking my Grandma (who’s weary of gluten-free things) as well as friends who had never even heard of paleo. They are a true winner and you’ll feel like one too when you make a batch of these!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- 3 C. Almond Meal
- 1 C. Enjoy Life Mini Chips*
- 1 C. Chopped Pecans
- 1/4 t. Salt
- 1/2 t. Baking Soda
- 1/3 C. Honey
- 2 T. Melted Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/2 t. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
*Any chocolate chips will work, but I love these dairy-free/soy-free mini chips. Also, although tempting, don’t add the whole bag, as it will become difficult to get them to stick together.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients (almond meal, salt, baking soda) together.
3. Add the chocolate chips and chopped pecans to the dry mixture and stir evenly.
4. In a separate bowl, heat oil and honey together to liquify in microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Whisk the wet ingredients together (honey, oil, vanilla extract and egg).
6. Make a crater in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the whisked wet ingredients.
7. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until thoroughly mixed.
8. Using a spoon, scoop and roll 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
9. With your hand, gently press down the cookie dough balls as they don’t spread much during baking, so make them the size and shape you like.
10. Bake for 13-15 minutes and let cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack and enjoy!