Let’s face it. Is there anyone in the world who doesn’t like a good chocolate chip cookie? It’s a classic for a reason and the scent alone makes them instantly crave-able. There are a lot of amazing chocolate chip cookies out there, including in the gluten-free world. Unfortunately, a lot of them have sugar and shortening or vegan butter and those are ingredients I’d prefer not to put in my body. Enter- the paleo cookie. I can’t actually take credit for this recipe, as I got it from my amazing sister-in-law Julia, who started making this when she and my brother went paleo. Enter the night before Easter this year, when my brother had a craving for some delicious chocolate chip cookies and he and I whipped these up (ok, so he was mostly my sous chef, but an excellent one). ;) I’ve since made these cookies for various occasions and everyone loves them! I’m talking my Grandma (who’s weary of gluten-free things) as well as friends who had never even heard of paleo. They are a true winner and you’ll feel like one too when you make a batch of these!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- 3 C. Almond Meal
- 1 C. Enjoy Life Mini Chips*
- 1 C. Chopped Pecans
- 1/4 t. Salt
- 1/2 t. Baking Soda
- 1/3 C. Honey
- 2 T. Melted Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/2 t. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
*Any chocolate chips will work, but I love these dairy-free/soy-free mini chips. Also, although tempting, don’t add the whole bag, as it will become difficult to get them to stick together.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients (almond meal, salt, baking soda) together.
3. Add the chocolate chips and chopped pecans to the dry mixture and stir evenly.
4. In a separate bowl, heat oil and honey together to liquify in microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Whisk the wet ingredients together (honey, oil, vanilla extract and egg).
6. Make a crater in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the whisked wet ingredients.
7. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until thoroughly mixed.